GB shares recipe of NarkelNarufor Bijoya Dashami
Shredded coconut: 3 cups.
Sugar: 1 cup
Evaporated Milk: 2 cups. If using whole milk, reduce 4 cups to 2
Condensed Milk: 1/4 cup
• In a heavy bottomed deep pan mix the shredded coconut and sugar with hand thoroughly.
• Put the pan on low heat and then stir for 4-5 minutes. The sugar will melt and mix with coconut and the coconut will be lightly roasted.
• Add about 2 cups of evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of condensed milk to the above. Add some cardamom seeds.
• Mix it all together and at low to medium heat cook with frequent stirring till the coconut is cooked. Keep stirring till the milk almost dries up and the coconut mix comes out clean from the sides. You will know by the slight change in color and the fact that the mix will no longer stick to the pan. Don't dry it too much, else you cannot make the balls.
• Take the pan off the heat and cool slightly. When mix is still warm to touch, make balls by rolling between your palms.
• TYou can also use jaggery instead of sugar, to make narus that look brown.
• Store in an air tight container.